Saturday, January 19, 2013

On Meeting Stray Dogs


A mixture of good and bad advice in this posting on Hubpages about what to do when meeting a stray dog.

Good advice:
  1. Don’t run.
  2. Ignore it and it may just go away.
  3. Don’t make direct eye contact.


Bad advice:
  1. Lie face down on the ground with your knees under you and cover your head with your hands.
  2. Offer your hand for the dog to sniff.


I guess the author is writing from a western situation. If I were to follow her advice I would spend half my life crouched on the ground with my hands over my head.

My advice when approached by a potentially aggressive stray dog is to stand still and look the other way. Let it sniff your leg (and keep your hands in your pocket).


Learn more about the lives and issue of unowned dogs in my e-book ”A Stray View” available from Bangkok Books (readable as .pdf on any computer)

No comments:

Post a Comment