Thursday, January 17, 2013

Dream Pill for Stray Dog Control?

I have written before (here) about the not-for-profit organisation, “600 Million Stray Dogs Need You”, who are developing a one-time sterilisation pill for dogs with the apparent aim of producing dog-free streets.

To quote myself:
“I absolutely agree that such an oral contraceptive would be an extremely useful tool in many situations but absolutely disagree with their disingenuous simplification of the problem to suit their own agenda.”
And I repeat my belief that not all unowned dogs are stray and do not need to be dealt with.

Then I recently came across an article about this campaign (here) that was interesting for the readers’ comments at the end which showed some very strong feelings against the campaign that pleasantly surprised me. Admittedly their reasons were different to mine (largely being worried about the ease for misusing such a drug in various ways or possible side-effects) but I welcome any resistance to this group unless they undergo a radical change in attitude that is not simply going to happen.


Learn more about the lives and issue of unowned dogs in my e-book ”A Stray View” available from Bangkok Books (readable as .pdf on any computer)

No comments:

Post a Comment